I produce creative, reusable solutions with solid documentation and an eye towards patterns and best practice.
I enjoy composing graceful interfaces to online assets.
I am fascinated by the power and the challenge in distributed systems, and maintaining the security goals and reliability of services and infrastructure as business moves towards the cloud.
I demand stability from the technology I use every day.
I like uniting these skills to produce and deploy high-performance software that can be accessible anywhere, reliably. My work has been referred to as "bulletproof", and I take pride in that.
I have a particular interest in applying myself to designing securely distributed high-reliability services that create value by resolving privacy questions in an increasingly networked world.
- built data management and migration tools handling 100s of petabytes of consumer data safely and reliably
- targetted benchmarking and profiling of data pipelines for integration with the next-gen product
- enhancements to software build and management lifecycles, taking rebuild build/test iteration from minutes to seconds for >100 developers
- added product features on short deadlines to land multi-million dollar contracts
- built reporting and analytics around test coverage and code quality metrics
- guided factoring apart of protocols and implementing projects, enabling teams to work with greater independence
- revamped a database with throughput issues to cache components of common queries in redis, increasing our supportable user count by an order of magnitude
- built redis library integrating with company conventions and thread pool / event dispatch structures
- created new UI features, from a DSL for dynamic news stories to client features structured as jQuery plugins
- produced internal admin tools and analytics presentation system
- updated legacy software to build in a consistent gem+bundler environment
- wrote and maintained software handling user requests on the scale of tens of millions every hour, and responsible for hundreds of thousands per day in revenue.
- replaced aging systems that could not cope with the company's growing scale with solutions leveraging concurrent processing and distributed nonrelational data storage.
- streamlined and automated build processes, increasing productivity for the entire server engineering team and raising the bar for quality control.
- wrote enhancements to company internal software ranging from resolving user interface bugs to adding new APIs to interface with business partners.
- optimized SQL queries and table layout for enhanced performance.
- handled "big data" and Hadoop clusters.
- responded to alerts and delivered fixes to live production issues.
- participated in migrating company systems from Amazon cloud services into a private datacenter.
- collected extensive experience in reading and synthesizing knowledge from academic publications, as well as drafting new scientific writing.
- contributed to leading research in secure distributed systems for both communication and provably reliable storage.
- administrated lab systems and servers.
Membership Concealing Overlay Network (MCON) Simulator
BitTorrent Swarm Tracking
- researched metabolic pathways for sterol production in genetically altered yeast — sequenced ribosomal genes, used sequence alignment tools and genetic databases to synthesize data, etc.
- organized group of student researchers and coordinated data gathering.
- gained experience in interdisciplinary communication.
- Studied of principles of security design.
- Learned cryptographic protocols and how to apply them correctly in systems design.
- Examined wide selection of network protocols at various layers of the OSI model.
- Analyzed distributed systems and parallelization/concurrency.
- Surveyed core concepts of machine learning.